RDR CARGO & LOGISTICS

YOUR PARTNER IN SHIPPING ANYWHERE TO THE PHILIPPINES.. BALIKBAYAN BOX, AIR CARGO, AIRLINE TICKETS, CONSOLIDATION , RETURNING RESIDENT, COMMERCIAL GOODS

LICENSED AND ACCREDITED BY THE PHILIPPINE SHIPPERS BUREAU


OFFICIAL MANILA INTERNATIONAL CONTAINER TERMINAL PARTNER ADVISORY
07/07/2014ADVISORY NO. 2014-023

MICT yard utilization still at maximum levels but starting to inch lower

MICT Berth Aprilshot7 300x198 MICT yard utilization still at maximum levels but starting to inch lower

Yard utilization at the Manila International Container Terminal has been stretched since the implementation of the Manila truk ban in February. Photo courtesy of ICTSI.

It might take three to eight months before yard utilization at the Manila International Container Terminal (MICT) returns to more ideal levels.

Yard use has been stretched since the Feb 24 imposition of the Manila truck ban policy, which has since translated to higher truck turnaround, a pileup of containers at the ports, vessels waiting for berth, and a general slowdown in trade.

Christian Gonzalez, general manager of MICT and head of Asia-Pacific region of International Container Terminal Services, Inc., told PortCalls in an email that bringing back yard utilization to around 70% would depend on “how much effort is put in to work on Sundays and Monday mornings and how much of a backlog remains in foreign ports.

“The most important thing is MICT is moving in the right direction. Barring any major typhoons or major issues like long holidays that will reduce import pullouts, I can say that the range will be 3 to 8 months.”

Gonzalez said the 24/7 express trade lane implemented by the city of Manila on May 31 “has been very good, and City Hall has been very objective and proactive in finding new ways to support reducing the backlog,” adding that the port operator continues to work with Manila on the issue.

He said “the nature of a backlog, however, is that it needs to be cleared, and because the backlog [is] so great, it will take a significant time to clear it.”

“This being said, utilization is still at its maximum levels and inching lower very slowly,” Gonzalez said. But a major problem is the “lack of import pullouts on Sundays and Mondays”, he added.

According to him, the number of ships “waiting for berth is variable and dependent on arrivals. It is definitely better than last week (June 23-29), and on Monday (June 30) we had it down to two. Unfortunately weekends are heavy so this is now back to between five and seven, depending on how quickly we complete ships.”

Decongestion plan

Asked if government measures announced last week were enough to arrest the domino effect of the truck ban, Gonzalez said: “People must stop being in denial and realize and accept Manila has the capacity, depth, equipment, systems and, most importantly, the market that dictate that it is the principal gateway to the Philippines and the principal driver for trade growth. The ultimate solution is the fast-tracked development of new roadways.”

Four months after the truck ban was implemented, various government entities finally laid down measures to decongest Manila ports, including extending work hours of the Bureau of Customs at the Port of Manila, MICP and in certain economic zones, and strict implementation of the 30-day seizure policy for overstaying cargoes.

A short-term solution, Gonzalez said, is to “enhance city hall’s efforts by continuing to improve proper management of key routes where containers pass and putting in place an appointment system to make sure everyone in the supply chain is obligated to maximize all 7 days of the week, 24 hours a day.”

The mid-term solution, on the other hand, is to “maximize the use of Subic and Batangas by ensuring the market is given incentives to move their manufacturing and trading bases to those areas to create the scale needed to justify direct shipping calls there.”

Effects on domestic port

Meanwhile, the truck ban has had minimal impact on North Port.

Richard Barclay, CEO of Manila North Harbour Port Inc, operator of the domestic port, told PortCalls, “With or without the truck ban there has not been a significant impact on our terminal operations.”

He said “average yard utilization is 45% with some occasional peaking at 64%”, adding that “generally ships (are) not waiting for a berth.”

North Port’s volume growth is expected to be approximately 10% for 2014 over 2013, he said. Barclay also noted, “Only a small percentage of trucks (have been) affected” by the joint Department of Transportation and Communications-Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board-Land Transportation memo on higher penalties for illegally operating vehicles, including trucks.

“Some domestic shipping lines have affiliated companies that provide trucking services. The impact of the truck ban will vary depending on the type of plates (yellow, green) their trucks possess and the age of the trucks. But if all affiliated companies will be able to renew their trucks earlier and have younger fleet of trucks, the impact will be minimal. This also applies to INHTA (Integrated North Harbor Truckers Association) trucks and other truck affiliations,” he said. — Roumina Pablo

LATEST NEWS UPDATE
:
 Please be informed that Port Congestion Via Taiwan and Singapore is causing the delay of Container Arrival from original Promised ETA to Port Manila. Also the Current Truck Ban in Manila has caused Strike and Has also affected the releasing of containers to its consigned Company Warehouse. Please check the latest news links and update. Currently we are doing our best to lessen the delay caused by operations that are no longer in our control. We have prepared our trucks and studied the possible and best way to deliver the goods faster door to door.
Please bear with us and our customer service for follow-ups is always available to answer all your queries and concern including special delivery request and expedite delivery for time sensitive packages that are related to events and important occasions. Again we are very sorry for this inconvenience. We believe that this is just temporary and all freight forwarders are experiencing the same issues as of the moment. Thank you for your patience and Continuing support. We wont stop making improvements and we take this as a challenge to our company in providing the best service possible. Please check related links below.

http://www.interaksyon.com/business/81441/businessmen-port-users-warn-manila-truck-ban-would-cause-chaos-retard-trade                                                                                                                    

                  ROMMEL J. DEL ROSARIO
CEO RDR CARGO of New York and New Jersey

RETURNING RESIDENT SERVICES:

WE CATER ALL OVER UNITED STATES AREA:


We filipinos have worked so hard for all those years we have spent our lives in the USA and helping our loved ones in the Philippines. RDR CARGO in Partner with LCSN now offers RETURNING RESIDENT PROGRAM. This means all your hard earned money put to the stuff you have accumulated all those years can be sent to the Philippines DOOR TO DOOR without having hassles and at a cheaper Cost.


CONTAINER BOOKING: 40 foot container 12,500 This is all inclusive

                                    including customs release and door to door delivery

                                     

                                     20 foot container  9,500.


Cannot fill-up a whole container? No problem, We can charge you base on the space occupied per cubic feet. RDR CARGO aims to please and save you money. As a returning resident customer we know every dollar counts

as a returning Filipino to his homeland. We will be your partner.

WE NOW SHIP CARS FOR RETURNING RESIDENT
AND QUALIFIED DIPLOMATS.

Want to know how much for customs and duties and freight for shipping your vehicle to the Philippines? Please fill up form below and we will get back to you. Or Call 917-294-5107

Thank you for contacting us. We will get back to you as soon as possible
Oops. An error occurred.
Click here to try again.

UNITED KINGDOM OPERATIONS